Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Feedback wanted: syntax highlighting in the LilyPond documentation
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 14:19:19 -0800

On 2022-01-04 1:42 pm, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html
[ . . . ]
But I'm probably fretting for something that is
very easy in the end.

The code Lilypond's site would use would be entirely homegrown, licensed under GPL. Not sure there is anything here to worry unless we determine there is an external dependency that is required.

If we add a toggle for switching highlighting on and
off, then the next question will of course be what
the default should be. Without surprise, I would prefer
if it were on by default, but I wouldn't mind the
other way.

And honestly, I like the default being on, simply because it advertises the new feature. If folks load up the docs and see the familiar black and white, they might not know to look for the option to enable highlighting.

Perhaps a good strategy would be to initially enable the feature for an entire release cycle. This gets folks using it and providing feedback. Most of the discussion so far has been limited in scope so it is hard to know if the system works well over the entire manual and for day-to-day usage.

I would not be surprised if some creative folks on the list end up creating new color schemes to be included as options aside from the default. A dark mode scheme is almost inevitable.

Are you sure about that? This is one page that drew
my attention:

https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/30739/do-the-gdpr-and-cookie-law-regulations-apply-to-localstorage

One of the posts a little further down talks about shopping carts. The way I read this is that when a user is performing an action where something being saved is reasonably expected as part of the functionality, there is no need to ask permission. The question we would have is whether selecting a color scheme carries an expectation that it should persist.

-- Aaron Hill