Re: Unwanted space around cautionary accidental

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Unwanted space around cautionary accidental
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 01:12:00 +0100

Am Mo., 22. Nov. 2021 um 23:29 Uhr schrieb Paolo Prete <paolopr976@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> Please, have a look at this:
>
> { c'''!-> s c'''?-> }
>
> From (at least) 2.19.45 on it adds an unwanted space between the cautionary
> accidental and the ">" script. Any Idea of how to fix this without tweaking?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Paolo,

I don't see any changed behaviour while comparing 2.18.2., 2.22.1 and
2.23.3, maybe some versions of 2.19.x did different...
Second, comparing the two NoteColumns in your example I notice a
different positioning of the accent in y-axis direction, but no
remarkable space changes between it and the cautionary accidental. Do
I miss something?

That said I would prefer do have the same vertical space in both
NoteColumns between the accent and the NoteHead, I _think_ there would
be enough room for it.

Though, the suggested override for vertical-skylines doesn't solve it
completely, see the ouput of:

{
    %\override Staff.AccidentalPlacement.right-padding = 0.25 %% default 0.15
    \override AccidentalCautionary.vertical-skylines =
#grob::unpure-vertical-skylines-from-stencil
    <>-\tweak extra-offset #'(-1 . 8.5) _\markup \draw-line #'(10 . 0)
}

Adding the commented override for right-padding does.

Cheers,
  Harm