Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 20:26:40 -0700

On 2021-11-02 2:56 pm, R. Padraic Springuel wrote:
On Nov 2, 2021, at 1:00 PM, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:

Not sure if this was already suggested, but could you use something like this to concatenate arbitrary markup?

I think that what you’re suggesting is in the spirit of what David was
suggesting, but I’m trying to reduce the input overhead at this point
and feel like what you propose increases it slightly.

Okay, would text replacement be viable as opposed to writing a bunch of individual functions?

%%%%
feminine =
#'(("man/woman" . "woman")
   ("his/her" . "her")
   ("he/she" . "she"))

\markup \replace \feminine {
  The man/woman, tightly clutching his/her jacket, braved the
  bitter cold as he/she searched for his/her missing dog.
}
%%%%

Note that you can install such text replacements at the global level to affect all markup without needing the explicit call to \replace:

%%%%
neutral =
#'(("man/woman" . "person")
   ("his/her" . "their")
   ("he/she" . "they"))

\paper { #(add-text-replacements! neutral) }

\markup {