Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics

From: R. Padraic Springuel
Subject: Re: Markup functions and punctuation in lyrics
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 17:56:22 -0400

On Nov 2, 2021, at 1:00 PM, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this was already suggested, but could you use something like this
> to concatenate arbitrary markup?

I think that what you’re suggesting is in the spirit of what David was
suggesting, but I’m trying to reduce the input overhead at this point and feel
like what you propose increases it slightly.

> On Nov 2, 2021, at 1:11 PM, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> The difference between a music function and an
> even function is that the return type of an event
> function is narrower -- it must return something
> suitable as a post-event, such as \p, -., \marcato,
> etc. This brings syntax flexibility in the case
> where a note is immediately followed by the application
> of an event function. The handling of arguments remains
> the same. It does not help here.

Thanks for that information.  So I guess that leads me back towards something
like your first post.  I’m going to need to pick that code apart and see what I
can understand there.

> Since you ask about this again, here is some code that
> I wrote when you asked the first time. It post-processes
> the lyrics to squash punctuation with the previous lyric
> event. I had abandoned it because it was getting complex.
> Try it and see how it fares -- it has not been extensively
> tested.

Oooo.  This is decidedly more complicated looking than your first post, but
I’ll definitely take a look as the interface looks really promising.  Given my
one track mind, I’ll probably wait until after I’ve had a chance to pick apart
and understand your first suggestion.

Fr. Samuel, OSB
(R. Padraic Springuel)
St. Anselm’s Abbey