Re: Sending around contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Sending around contexts
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:21:28 -0400

p.s.

> This would mean that dynamics in either the \lower or \upper variables would
> be centred “automagically”, and pedal markings entered in the \lower variable
> would “automagically” appear below the staff — all without having to use
> extra \dynamics and \pedal variables (with all the required skips, etc.).

To be fair, this isn’t the “silver bullet” for that particular underlying
problem… What we *really* need is the [built-in] ability to place events at
moments *without having to manage the intervening time*! It would be awesome to
say

  upper = { c'1 … }
  dynamics = {
    \at #'(14 1/4) \p
    \at #'(14 3/4) \!
    \at #'(1000 1/8) \sffz
    …
  }

and then just <<>> them together. This is *sort* of what \after does, but I
believe the ability to place things by absolute [i.e., non-relative /
-cumulative] time would be incredibly powerful. (Indeed, it is: this is exactly
why I use the edition-engraver so heavily!)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info