Re: Trying to get the hang of "Polyphony with Shared Lyrics" section of

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: Trying to get the hang of "Polyphony with Shared Lyrics" section of the manual.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:03:38 -0400

Hi Lukas,

First, I'm using LilyPond v. 2.20.0. (I often seem to end up at 2.18
and 2.21 when searching for documentation -- though explicitly
changing the URL to 2.20 works.)

Second, I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a compatible example: I
thought that's what I provided. But the URL below is what I'm trying
to convert, if that's what you mean.

Finally, I don't even know how to word the question. In the bit that I
posted, the second full measure should be

"days____ of old, Ere her" with "days" taking up everything except the
last five notes,

as shown on the bottom right of:

https://archive.org/details/the-celtic-song-book/page/n22/mode/1up

I see that the manual page I was looking at says I cannot do things
the way previous pages taught me to do things with \addlyrics.

Is that enough info to let you know where I'm struggling?