Re: Trying to get the hang of "Polyphony with Shared Lyrics" section of

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: Trying to get the hang of "Polyphony with Shared Lyrics" section of the manual.
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 20:35:06 +0200

Hi Kevin,

Am 29.10.21 um 20:17 schrieb Kevin Cole:
So. I have a piece with a few sections where there are two "voices" as
I understand things. And according to the manual, the solution, which
works fine is:

Could you please post a compilable example? (Preferably as short as possible, but if all else fails, "compilability" is more important than "shortness", at least in my book.)

The problem is that I don't quite understand how to deal with lyric
extenders. I've looked at:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics#polyphony-with-shared-lyrics

but the example isn't quite helping, since the way the book told me to
do the voices in the melody appears to be different from the way the
page above is doing things...

Can you describe what's confusing you? I'll readily admit that the lyrics section in the documentation deserves an overhauling, and I have a local branch where I started working on that, but since term started at our university, LilyPond fiddling time is scarce...

By the way: You link to the 2.18 documentation, which is heavily outdated. Which version of LilyPond are you actually using?

Lukas