Re: convert-ly

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Re: convert-ly
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:38:37 -0700

On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 12:21 PM JxStarks <jxstarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> or do I need to have some reference to Python in my PATH command?  If so,
> what should it look like?
>
> Jerry
>
> On Mon, May 31, 2021 at 3:19 PM JxStarks <jxstarks@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Thanks for your many and informative responses. M.Tarenskeen correctly
>> identified a typo in my PATH command ("C;" instead of "C:"). I corrected
>> that, but the problem still persists. Here's my latest info from the Command
>> Prompt:
>> ===
>> C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\RPC\Music\FILE>echo %PATH%
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program
>>  Files
>> (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin;C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
>>
>> C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\RPC\Music\FILE>convert-ly *.ly
>> 'convert-ly' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>> operable program or batch file.
>> ===
>> Note: I tried both convert-ly and convert-ly.py, and neither one works for
>> me.
>>
>> At some iteration in the past, the PATH command was "[pre-set
>> paths];C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin;"
>>
>> Is it necessary to have the [pre-set paths] and the quotation marks?

First off, you have "C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin" in your
path.  Check that the path exists (use File Explorer) and check that
both convert-ly.py and python.exe are in that folder.

Now let's associate the .py file extension with python.exe.  Got to
Start -> Settings -> Apps.  Then on the left, click Default Apps, then
near the bottom click, "Choose default apps by file type".

Scroll all the way down to .py and if you have the Python app to the
right, you're done.  If not, click Choose a default and search for
python.exe in "C:\Program Files (x86)\LilyPond\usr\bin".

When that's all done you should be able to type "convert-ly.py
--version" and get a version number.
--
Knute Snortum