Re: Lyrics and Repeats

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Repeats
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 22:21:36 -0500

On Tue 18 May 2021 at 18:39:14 (+0000), Carl Sorensen wrote:

> This is how I approach your problem.  It uses Devnull contexts to space the
> lyrics, and it makes use of the skip-of-length function to provide skips in
> the Devnull contexts.
>
> With this method, you have to make some more variables and contexts, but you
> never need to count notes to or put skips in your lyrics.

I routinely use a different approach, which plays fast and loose
with the lyrics, and usually involves counting syllables.¹
I've employed your example, but modified the second measure
in recognition of the fact that I typeset so many ties and slurs.
(As the structure is uninteresting, I've compressed the source
vertically.)

I tried to modify your more pedagogically correct example to
produce the same score, but failed to print the extender.
(I mentioned this problem in my reply to Aaron.)

The modification I made to the music is:

  voltaMus = \relative {b'4 b b( g)}

  tb = \lyricmode {
    The first bit. __ _
    an -- oth -- er bar
    a sec -- ond bar
    the fi -- nal bar
  }
  tc = \lyricmode {
    Sec -- ond bit. __ _
  }

(Your example needs the _ syllables, whereas mine doesn't.)

¹ Because the lyrics printed in the non-melody parts are often
  very fragmentary, dozens of syllables are often skipped.
  This is unconnected with whether there are any repeats.

Cheers,
David.