Re: Lyrics and Repeats

From: Kaj Persson
Subject: Re: Lyrics and Repeats
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 06:07:22 +0200

On Sat 15 May 2021 at 16:03:54 (+0200), Kaj Persson wrote:

In the Notation manual is described how to manage Lyrics in Repeat
conditions. It shows examples the Repeat section following an initial
part of music. There are also examples when the Repeat starts the
piece and then followed by more music. But if you are searching the
combination of these two you search in vain. This was really what I
wanted, an initial part before the Repeat then a couple of
alternatives and an ending part outside of the repeat and
alternatives. Well I understand the author of the manual who left this
case aside, because the solution I succeeded to find does not agree
with the normal rules described in the manual. The rule with repeated
{ \skip 1 } was changed. Instead of counting individual tones, you now
has to define whole measures. If you do not, the text is gliding away,
possibly of the score, it vanishes and you cannot find it! I suppose
this is a bug that ought to be corrected.

Another observation is that \lyricsto adds an extra space at the start
in the case that you define an new lyric at the beginning of the
\repeat. So the '\new Lyric \lyricsto "melody" { ' is NOT equivalent
with '\new Lyric { \set associatedVoice = "melody" '. This too ought
to be a bug.

To find this took of course a quite lot of time, and I am still not
shure I have catched the full truth. In the following examlple I have
used variables for the lyrics, just to test that it work, and it does.
The interested can also test removing the "% " before the \lyricsto to
see the consequence.

I am running LilyPond version 2.21.0 via Frescobaldi. Appended an
image of the Music example.

Perhaps you should look back at this post from last week:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2021-05/msg00038.html
You have to choose one method or the other, not a sort of mixture.

BTW your lyrics have no durations, fair enough with method 1, but then
the same will be true for \skips. Syntactically, however, they must have a numeric suffix, whose value is ignored. (ยง Invisible rests, p62 NR 2.22.0)

Cheers,
David.

Thank you, David, for your reply and your efforts to explain my experiences. Unfortunately you did not succeed completely. First you notice that there are no duration figures with the words/syllables in the lyrics. The only exceptions are the skip commands. I have used this method because the manual suggests it. I have read that in lyric text LilyPond ignores the figure at \skip. I have seen an implied word "never", but from your answer one should possibly understand it as "sometimes" or at least "most often". I think I have read most of the relevant parts in Notation manual and also Learning manual, but, according to what I can remember, I have nowhere seen a declaration of the conditions when LilyPond in fact uses the duration figure of \skip. Obviously I have happened to run across such a condition. It also explains my observation that the \skip command does not mean individual notes/tones but whole measures. The figure 1 does mean a full measure in the tempo 4/4. So it should mean two measures in 2/2, but I have not tested that. All this, until these conditions are presented, about when LilyPond uses the figure, makes me, from now on, skip the \skip and instead use one of the alternatives which I by chance happened to discover in the snippets manual (I think it was) namely the empty string ("") or the underscore (_), which at a quick test seem not to have the drawbacks of \skip. The method of defining the duration for every word/syllable really does not entice me much. Letting the notes alone define the durations is too comfortable for that. Moreover I have not found how to return to the normal mode, if I at a short, special section, does define the durations for lyrics words. All this so long, however, does not explain the extra space introduced by \lyricsto, so that is another question.

Regards and once again, thank you David for your try to help.
/Kaj
So