Lyrics and Repeats

From: Kaj Persson
Subject: Lyrics and Repeats
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 16:03:54 +0200

Hi all

In the Notation manual is described how to manage Lyrics in Repeat conditions. It shows examples the Repeat section following an initial part of music. There are also examples when the Repeat starts the piece and then followed by more music. But if you are searching the combination of these two you search in vain. This was really what I wanted, an initial part before the Repeat then a couple of alternatives and an ending part outside of the repeat and alternatives. Well I understand the author of the manual who left this case aside, because the solution I succeeded to find does not agree with the normal rules described in the manual. The rule with repeated { \skip 1 } was changed. Instead of counting individual tones, you now has to define whole measures. If you do not, the text is gliding away, possibly of the score, it vanishes and you cannot find it! I suppose this is a bug that ought to be corrected.

Another observation is that \lyricsto adds an extra space at the start in the case that you define an new lyric at the beginning of the \repeat. So the '\new Lyric \lyricsto "melody" { ' is NOT equivalent with '\new Lyric { \set associatedVoice = "melody" '. This too ought to be a bug.

To find this took of course a quite lot of time, and I am still not shure I have catched the full truth. In the following examlple I have used variables for the lyrics, just to test that it work, and it does. The interested can also test removing the "% " before the \lyricsto to see the consequence.

I am running LilyPond version 2.21.0 via Frescobaldi. Appended an image of the Music example.

Kaj P

\version "2.22.0"
ta = \lyricmode {
  % Not re -- peat -- ed.
  a a a a }
  tb = \lyricmode {
    % The first time words.
  b b b b }
  tc = \lyricmode {
    % Sec -- ond time words.
  c c c c }
  tx = \lyricmode {
    x x x x }
  ty = \lyricmode {
    y y y y }
  tz = \lyricmode {
    z z z z }

  \score {
    <<
      \new Staff {
        \new Voice = "melody" {
          \relative {
            a'4 a a a
            \repeat volta 2 { b4 b b b }
            \alternative {
              { c,4 c c c   c c c c  }
              { d4 d d d }
            }
            e4 e e e
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" {
        \ta
        <<
          { \tb \tx \tx \tx \repeat unfold 1 { \skip 1 } \tz }
          \new Lyrics % \lyricsto "melody"
          {
            \set associatydVoice = "melody"
            \tc