Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests

From: David Bellows
Subject: Re: Repeated durations: pitches vs rests
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:21:04 -0800

Hello Andrew,

> It's just the syntax. A 16 without a note will produce a
note, not a rest, even after a rest.

> People don't normally put ties on rests - does not quite make sense, as
a ties means hold the note and don't articulate, whereas silence cant be
articulated anýway.

So if a duration without a rest will result in a note and that a rest
with a tie is otherwise meaningless, then perhaps a rest with a tie
followed by a duration could be made to produce a rest instead of a
note.

{c4 r16 8}

would produce: C, rest, C,

while:

{c4 r16~ 8}

would produce: C, rest, rest

> Is it that hard to make the computer program emit an r for a rest?

As you can imagine, writing software that takes audio data and
converts it into LilyPond files automatically is not an easy task. My
software does create rests, it's just in the particular situation
where a voice in one staff (like in a piano) has a quarter tied to a
16th that I need the same voice in the other staff to create the
appropriate rests (quarter followed by a 16th). The way my software is
designed, it handles all simple durations just fine, but ones that
require ties are where the problem is and I do not see a way out that
doesn't add a lot of complexity. It's the peculiarity of how I
designed my program that ultimately is the problem but it's also
something that is way, way too late in the game to change.

The rest with a tie solution would make my life a ton easier and could
just be plugged straight into my software without any actual
programming. Otherwise, I will have to program in a solution and it
will be difficult to graft it onto the existing code.

Dave