Re: Braces with TabStaff

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Braces with TabStaff
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:16:48 +0000

On 2/12/21, 9:40 AM, "lilypond-user on behalf of David Kastrup"
<lilypond-user-bounces+carl.d.sorensen=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
dak@gnu.org> wrote:

    Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@byu.edu> writes:

    > It seems to me like a ChoirStaff is a special kind of StaffGroup that
    > is not intended to have tablature associated with it.
    >
    > Wouldn’t the better approach be to have the user create a new custom
    > StaffGroup?

    Singers with lute are not untypical for a Renaissance ensemble.  At any
    rate, LilyPond's job description does not really include fighting
    imprudent typesetting choices with baffling behavior.

I agree with this.  We should try in every case not to be baffling.

    "Are you sure you want ..." is a usage rather than a programming
    question.

    > One of the strengths of LilyPond is keeping appropriate semantics in
    > the input files.

    But not by ejecting its stomach in the users' faces when it doesn't like
    what they want.

    > I don’t think ChoirStaff is the appropriate semantics for a StaffGroup
    > containing a traditional music staff and a tablature staff.

    But the user is not asking you to do the typesetting, but LilyPond.

I agree.

Should ChoirStaff accept all Staff contexts then?  DrumStaff, RhythmicStaff,
TabStaff?

I guess if we are consistent and say any kind of staff can be included in a
ChoirStaff, so that a ChoirStaff is just a StaffGroup with a particular kind of
start bracket, then my concern is minimized.

Thanks,

Carl

    --
    David Kastrup