Re: \unfoldRepeats

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: \unfoldRepeats
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 18:28:42 -0700

Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@gmail.com> writes:

Hi David,

That's one view, but I have been using LilyPond for professional
engraving for years and I am now moving into MIDI for generation of MIDI as the principal end output, for film scores and so on. That's a valid musical compositional use case. The engraved score is _not_
always the principal object. …

I agree that an engraved score is not always each person’s principal aim. But it doesn’t follow that every piece of software ought to be the right one for every possible aim; Firefox’s double-entry bookkeeping is atrocious, and writing novels in Photoshop is way harder than it needs to be. :) Nor does it follow that all music composition software developers need a worldwide agreement on which use-cases must be covered.

I don’t think there’s an unlimited number of people with both the skill and the desire to work on the main structure of Lilypond, and to me it makes more sense for them to intentionally neglect a secondary function than to hold back or limit a primary one.

--
David Rogers