Re: \unfoldRepeats

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: \unfoldRepeats
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:02:49 +1100

Hi David,

That's one view, but I have been using LilyPond for professional
engraving for years and I am now moving into MIDI for generation of
MIDI as the principal end output, for film scores and so on. That's a
valid musical compositional use case. The engraved score is _not_
always the principal object. So far more than mere proofing, I am
(perhaps naively) attempting to use LilyPond to produce performance
quality MIDI and I have discovered with no disrespect to anybody
whatsoever that it is not the right tool for the job. So be it. But
tools like Dorico exist (as you say) and a large part of the target
market for that program is in fact film scoring and it comes with full
MIDI support and a large library of VST instruments. I don't suppose
MIDI in LilyPond will be raised to that level, and I am critically
aware of the lack of development resources for LilyPond. But this is
nowadays an important matter to me that it may be the final stimulus
to move to Dorico, at least for this aspect of my work. Nothing wrong
with having many tools in the toolchest. But it would be great in the
future to have more and better MIDI support. I no longer regard it as
a small feature on the side, but something I really need. For now, I
will stick to outputting my New Complexity School scores - which
Dorico has trouble with! :-)

Andrew