Re: \unfoldRepeats

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: \unfoldRepeats
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:00:23 -0700

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

Marc Shepherd <oakapple2@gmail.com> writes:

According to the documentation, the default behavior of the MIDI block is not to “unfold” repeats (other than those that are explicitly \repeat unfold). If you want repeats unfolded inside of a MIDI block, you have to requote the music within the MIDI block, nested inside of an \unfoldRepeats block.

Any idea why that was chosen as the default behavior? When composers write a repeat, they usually expect it to be performed. I would have thought that
automatically unfolding would be the more logical default.

The MIDI output of LilyPond is mainly intended for "proofhearing", not as a performance; it has been fairly recently only that attempts to take into account articulation marks (which are seminal for a performance) have been added. As such, unfolding repeats makes the material longer
without adding more information.

I started this reply with one idea, and have already changed my mind. I *was* going to say that the small size of MIDI files means there’s less reason to discuss wasted space. But now I think the bigger issue is the other thing you talked about: there’s a sort of unofficial division between MIDI files as just a quick way of allowing the notes to be heard (sort of a musical proof-of-concept), and MIDI files as carefully-orchestrated performances worth listening to in themselves.

I think the fact that a person is using Lilypond means they want a properly-printed score, and making the effort to print a nice score implies a planned live performance. Which (in my mind) allows Lilypond’s MIDI into the “mere proof of concept” category.

OK, after three tries, now I know my own opinion: If it would take “real work” to make unfolded repeats for MIDI, then I’d wish that time and effort had been spent on other Lilypond issues instead. And if working on MIDI would turn into a distraction, or would “open a can of worms”, then IMO it wouldn’t be worth it. There certainly is software out there for creating artistically-orchestrated MIDI.

--
David Rogers