Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:07:36 -0700

Hello all

I certainly remember having this same question or confusion. The fact that there is a specific \cresc led me to believe that there ought to be a specific \rit as well. May I suggest that a new Subsection 1.3.4 "Other expressive marks" be added to the Notation manual, simply explaining that "rit." and friends don't need individual commands, and should be dealt with as text markup, with a link to Section 1.8?

"Rit." *IS* an "expressive mark" just as much as "cresc." is, after all, and the fact that it isn't mentioned in Section 1.3 tends to make it look as if Lilypond just isn't capable of "rit." - which of course seems strange. A person who's at the stage of trying to find out how to put a "rit." into their score is unlikely to know that they need to look in Section 1.8.

Thanks
David R

Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com> writes:

Thank you! It worked! I added "\bold".