Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: How to insert a simple "rit."?
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 14:42:51 -0700

On 2020-09-28 1:13 pm, David Kastrup wrote:
David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com> writes:

Hello all

I certainly remember having this same question or confusion. The fact
that there is a specific \cresc led me to believe that there ought to
be a specific \rit as well. May I suggest that a new Subsection 1.3.4
"Other expressive marks" be added to the Notation manual, simply
explaining that "rit." and friends don't need individual commands, and
should be dealt with as text markup, with a link to Section 1.8?

"Rit." *IS* an "expressive mark" just as much as "cresc." is, after
all, and the fact that it isn't mentioned in Section 1.3 tends to make
it look as if Lilypond just isn't capable of "rit." - which of course
seems strange. A person who's at the stage of trying to find out how
to put a "rit." into their score is unlikely to know that they need to
look in Section 1.8.

Uh, \tempo "rit." ?

One minor issue is that MetronomeMarks normally belong to the Score and appear above all staves in a system. Much of the keyboard music I have prefer placing things like "rit." and "rall." between the hands. As such, I just use TextScripts to implement them. Only in a few cases have I bothered to instantiate a Dynamics context to vertically align performance instructions.

I wonder if there is value in having something like \textTempo or \dynamicTempo that work in a similar fashion to \tempo but produce TextScripts and DynamicTexts, respectively.

-- Aaron Hill