Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:34:27 +0200

Hi Thomas,

thank you for your interest in this very constructive discussion with Aaron!
in general I'm more with Aaron.
P.e., I have no clue which default text one could think of for
TextSpanner's left/right-text!?

Exactly, me neither. Forcing the default to be empty text without giving the user the chance to give input right there where the music is, is almost as undesirable as having “left text” and “right text” as defaults that you have to manually override.
Otoh, I'd wish we'd have a LilyPond-data-structure to assign a list of
key/value pairs in ly-syntax to a variable. Right now we can do so at
top-level, in layout, paper and \with.

In principle, I would support this as well.
That said, find attached a TempoSpanner-coding.
I'm not sure it's the best approach at all. For sure there's wide room
for improvements.
Probably the best one could say: it's a proof of concept.

Wow! I can’t wait to start playing with this! I’ll certainly report later, perhaps in a different thread, my observations. Thank you!

Best regards,
Martín.