Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:02:07 +0200

Am So., 20. Sept. 2020 um 12:05 Uhr schrieb Martín Rincón Botero
<martinrinconbotero@gmail.com>:

> In short, you and I simply
>
> disagree on what is satisfactory for syntax.
>

> Well, it seems we already agreed on one satisfactory syntax with the way you
> finished the script in the other thread, so I suppose it’s not impossible to
> agree on something ;-).
>
> We just come to LilyPond from two different perspectives. Folks
>
> like me will try to make the best of the existing system, and folks like
>
> you will contribute to improving its syntactic elegance.
>

> I hadn’t thought about it that way. I certainly give a lot of importance to
> syntax. Perhaps I should try to contribute in that territory somehow. Not a
> being a Scheme wizard limits my powers though.
>
> That said, \with is a powerful construct that need not be relegated to
>
> just context modification.
>

> I suppose the \with construct could be extended to uses it doesn’t have right
> now. But I guess one would need to understand first why isn’t that
> construction so often required in the first place.
>
>  It is good to have the "non-programmer" perspective.
>

> I’m glad that’s the case. Thank you for being so helpful with non-programmers
> like me! :-).
>
> Best regards,
> Martín.
> On 19. Sep 2020, 17:41 +0200, Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com>, wrote:
>

> existing

Hi Martin,

in general I'm more with Aaron.
P.e., I have no clue which default text one could think of for
TextSpanner's left/right-text!?
Otoh, I'd wish we'd have a LilyPond-data-structure to assign a list of
key/value pairs in ly-syntax to a variable. Right now we can do so at
top-level, in layout, paper and \with.

That said, find attached a TempoSpanner-coding.
I'm not sure it's the best approach at all. For sure there's wide room
for improvements.
Probably the best one could say: it's a proof of concept.

Cheers,
  Harm