Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: TextSpanner usability improvements (was Re: Scheme predicative types)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 08:41:04 -0700

On 2020-09-19 12:31 am, Martín Rincón Botero wrote:
[ . . . ]

I was going to comment on your reply in greater detail, but I realized it would not be terribly productive. In short, you and I simply disagree on what is satisfactory for syntax. And that is not a bad thing. We just come to LilyPond from two different perspectives. Folks like me will try to make the best of the existing system, and folks like you will contribute to improving its syntactic elegance.

That said, \with is a powerful construct that need not be relegated to just context modification. Also, this Kool-Aid(tm) is really quite refreshing!

Yes, the script I started writing and that you splendidly finished is
a workaround, not a solution. I’m not a programmer, so the day I can
actually make a pull request for issues like these might never come.
It would be great if such spanners can be implemented!

It is good to have the "non-programmer" perspective. Mind you, I would argue your use of LilyPond and interest in Scheme means you have already begun your journey as a programmer. (:

-- Aaron Hill