Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements

From: Paolo Prete
Subject: Re: Pedal cautionary after a line break (current status and improvements)
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 22:49:51 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi Paolo,

> I don't understand what you mean exactly, in the choral pieces.

A cappella choral pieces don’t include piano music, and therefore don’t include any piano pedal markings, and therefore don’t use or need the feature you’re describing — therefore, they are one of the [uncountable!] number of scores that are counterexamples to your claim that this feature is "an essential feature for any score".

Hi Kieren,

This observation is pleonastic. When I wrote "any score" I intended the context of the thread (cuationary pedals on brackets). Words must always be interpreted on the basis of what the context suggests.

I would estimate that I see cautionary markings in less than 50% of the [professional, published] scores in which the only pedal used is the sustain pedal. And of course, if no pedal brackets are used (e.g., if the piece simply states "Ped ad lib." or something similar), the feature you describe is again unnecessary/unessential.

Of course the thread was about a cautionary pedal on a bracket, as the snippets show, and I am not aware of scores that do not use it. Could you point out some of them? (In any case it would be a *really* bad editorial practice)

Best,