Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solo

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solos, desks etc.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 01:13:48 +0000

In my opinion, this does not belong in the notation reference.

I think there should be another volume added to the documentation, perhaps
something like "Advanced Engraving".

The information you are trying to add is tutorial in nature, rather than
reference.

A reference manual aims at answering the question "What is the proper syntax
for working with specific bits of notation?"   A tutorial manual aims at
answering the question "How do I accomplish something I'd like to do?"

We created the Learning Manual because we saw that the Notation Reference
didn't answer the needs of people beginning to use LilyPond.

I think it's time to create a manual that is tutorial for doing complicated
things like orchestral scores.

In my opinion, trying to put advanced tutorial information in the Notation
Reference will be a poor compromise and lead to a combined manual that doesn't
meet either of its needs as well as it could have.

A case in point -- in Valentin's admirable work to get *something* in the
manuals about divisi staves, he introduced a relatively complex piece of music.
 And because he needed to deal with the complexity, he "talked through the
code".  That was a big no-no in our standards for the Notation Reference.  I
thought about objecting, but I didn't want to because it was obviously good to
have something about handling divisi staves somewhere.

But if Graham were reviewing that addition, he never would have let it through.
 I ended up with lots of explanations tossed on the cutting room floor, because
it is a notation *Reference*, not a notation *Tutorial*.

I believe Graham was absolutely correct in his standards for the Notation
Reference.  But I also believe we need some advanced tutorial information.  And
the Learning Manual is not the place for advanced tutorial.  (But neither is
the Notation Reference.)

Hence, my suggestion for a new manual.

Thanks,

Carl