Re: IMSLP upload policy (was: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise sc

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: IMSLP upload policy (was: Re: Orchestral strings, how to organise score and parts for divisi, solos, desks etc.)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 20:24:39 +0200

On 6/2/20, Rutger Hofman <rutger@cs.vu.nl> wrote:
> I know that pdftk can add attachments to PDFs. Is that now also built
> into Lilypond?

Well… yes!
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=0fa6f042cccacb643d46781dde23617c71a9753e

Man, I wish more people would know about that feature.  I need to take
a look at the docs because right now it’s only buried here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.21/Documentation/usage/command_002dline-usage

> My preference for uploading parts is the other way around, i.e. the way
> I did it. The parts alone for this typeset total to 311 pages. I don't
> like the idea of 100 orchestra members each downloading that huge thing,
> also enhanced with a few megabytes of lilypond source

Well, that’s mainly because you have a huge raster image in there :-)

To each their own; your reasons are as valid as mine depending on the
point of view.

> I would of course never urge anybody to get an IMSLP membership :-), but
> the fee is (un)reasonably small (a few collaboration actions for IMSLP
> would already suffice).

Are you spared the waiting time as an IMSLP contributor? I know I’m not.

> But in any case, 10 seconds delay would be dwarfed by
> the alternative of downloading and perusing 311 pages.

I guess it depends how they work; if that’s for printing individual
parts as two-sided booklets (for example with a spiral binding), your
approach is indeed the most convenient. If that’s for downloading
everything as quickly as possible and then being able to keep a copy
at hand, mine works.  (By the way, when it comes to “perusing 311
pages”, LilyPond also supports creating a table of content :-)

Cheers,
-- V.