Re: Problems with Internals manual

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Problems with Internals manual
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 07:34:43 -0700

On 2020-06-17 1:35 am, Peter Toye wrote:
Robin,
Thanks. Fair enough. I guessed and experimented and got the result
that I wanted. But I'm not quite sure how I managed it!
A problem I had with minimum-X-extent is that it's a pair, but the
description describes it as a distance, which I'd have thought was a
single number!

Hmm.

====
minimum-X-extent (pair of numbers)
  Minimum size of an object in X dimension, measured in staff-space
  units.
====

I see no mention of "distance", but "size" might often be thought of
as a singular value.  In reality, extents are closer to "bounds" than
"size".  While the docs are pretty clear about the value being a pair
of numbers, perhaps we should update the extent-related properties to
use "bounds" as opposed to "size".

Minimum bounds?  Frankly, the description is rather useless.  Without
looking up the actual code, I would have no idea what the two numbers
here are supposed to signify, respectively.

Given the variable name and description, I would infer that each value of the pair indicates respectively how far left and how far right the bounding box of an object must minimally span. The object's actual bounding box may exist further left or further right as needed.

Mind you, this inference could be completely wrong providing the variable name and/or documentation string are bogus to begin with.

-- Aaron Hill