Re: Problems with Internals manual

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Problems with Internals manual
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:55:50 +0200

Peter Toye wrote:
I'm trying to work out what the properties of a LyricHyphen are, but the
Internals manual for that object keeps referring to rests, notes. beams. stems,
See, for example, the minimum-distance property. None of these, to my mind,
have much to do with lyrics or hyphens. Has some text from another object
wandered in here by mistake?

Yes and no.
I am afraid you are expecting too much of the Internals comments.
These comments are not handcrafted for each object's page.

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/layout-properties
lists all of these properties, and the comments there (have to) serve for all the different situations in which these property names are used.

And there can be so many different situations, that no attempt is made to mention and describe all of them. Keeps maintenance costs down.

Workarounds:
  - try guessing
  - search for usage examples
  - experiment
  - ask on this list
  - read the relevant source

Sorry.  At least we get these nice lists for each object/interface.

Cheers,
Robin