Re: Problem associated with multiple quote sources

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem associated with multiple quote sources
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 12:51:34 +0100

"Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:

> Some time ago (2015) I prepared a quintet version of the Farrenc Nonetto. To
> make things easier I added copious quotes to the many long chains of rests
> to help the players. For this purpose I created an ily containing a set of
> music for each line & movement (without cues) so that I could pick and chose
> quotes to go virtually anywhere. This worked fine then but today it runs
> into trouble.

[...]

> This works as expected for each movement on its own.
>

> But when I combine the movements in a single file and include a frontpage
> (in the usual way)  I get error messages such as

There is no usual way.

> C:/Users/Peter/Lilypool/Music_Files/Farrenc/Op38_Alto_L2_M1.ily:7:1: error:
> not a note name: cueNotesOneA

You use cueNotesOneA as the target for an assignment in the code you
quoted above but LilyPond tries to interpret it as a notename.

The most likely cause is you forgot a closing brace } .

> The parts and score files are far too large to include here.

Then make an example from scratch that isn't.  Really, there is not a
lot of help one can offer here without further information.

> I have been pulling out the few remaining hairs if anyone knows why things
> have changed since 2015 I would be very grateful

Things change all the time.  If you want to see what syntactical
entities LilyPond encounters and how it reacts to them, you can run it
with option -ddebug-parser .  The output will be humongous.  You can
direct it to a file and try capturing the last few dozen lines before
the error to guess what may be happening.

--
David Kastrup