Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Lilypond on OS X Catalina
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 20:14:22 +0200

> On 13 Sep 2019, at 19:30, Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Am 2019-09-13 um 19:15 schrieb Allan Kinnaird via lilypond-user
>> <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Apple flagged on the release of Mojave that it would be the last version of
>> OS X to support 32-bit applications, and the indications are that Catalina
>> will only operate with 64-bit applications.
>> On a system analysis, Lilypond is the only significant application I have
>> still showing as 32-bit.
>> Is anyone working on a Catalina compilation of Lilypond? If so, when might
>> the package be posted?
>> I am willing to try compiling from source, in spite of recommendations
>> against on the website.
>> I know there may be problems - the website provides suggestions for
>> compiling using dependencies from MacPorts, …
>
> In my experience (on OSX 10.9.5 and Mojave) … install Lilypond and
> Frescobaldi … quite easily with MacPorts (lilypond-devel and
> frescobaldi-devel).

At least the first one is supported (actively maintained), and one installs (as
root) with
  port install lilypond-devel
with no other hands-on installation other than making the program visible,
which can be done with a script called say ‘lilypond’ in a suitable location
with:
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
exec /opt/local/bin/lilypond "$@"

I added the LC_CTYPE and LANG environment variables, because on MacOS they are
set without a prefix ‘en_US.’ which may confuse some software.

The MacPorts installation only calls stuff inside /opt/ so it does not
interfere with anything outside. If one is also using stuff in /usr/local/,
then one will have to set the PATH appropriately. I have set /usr/local/ before
/opt/local/.

As for MacOS 10.15, it may take some time to get MacPorts updated, in the past
it has been some month or so after the new OS arrival.