workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?

From: mason
Subject: workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:40:37 -0700

I typically make few errors while inputting music. The two most common
exceptions are incorrect note durations and placing a note in the wrong
octave. The former generally is not a problem, because bar checks catch
the error and tell me where to look. However, the latter slips by more
easily.

If after compiling I notice that a voice is in the wrong octave, I know
to then go looking for the error, but with no equivalent to bar checks,
it takes longer to find the error. Worse is when I have made two octave
errors in opposite directions, causing the voice to end up in the
correct octave. In this case, I don't spot the error until I do a round
of proofreading.

Does anyone have any tips they've found for avoiding this kind of error
or catching it earlier? What I'm trying now is to get into a habit of
compiling and checking against the manuscript more frequently, but this
slows me down, so I'd also be interested in general strategies for
avoiding octave errors in the first place. What would be terrific is
some sort of "octave check" where at the end of a line I can enter a
pitch in absolute notation which is checked against the most recent
pitch in relative notation and throw an error if the octave is wrong,
similar to \barNumberCheck.

Mason