Re: Noting temporarely 2 melodies (different lyrics) on same staff

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Noting temporarely 2 melodies (different lyrics) on same staff
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 15:17:15 -0500

Simon,

A question about your example if I may. I have used this construct

<< { \voiceOne }
\new Voice {
{ \voiceTwo } }
>> \oneVoice

You put the \oneVoice before the \new Voice inside the << >> and not after/outside the << >> ... wondering why :-)

Thanks btw for your explanation. Now I'm figuring out how to map it to the structure I usually use from Frescobaldi's Score Wizard.

Guy

Guy Stalnaker
address@hidden

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 1:49 PM Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Ziad,

On 23.08.19 17:28, Ziad Gholam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a simple solution to the following subject :
> while editiong a chorus part, the Soprani voice is temporarely split
> (i.e. for 4 or 5 measures among 50 or more)
> into 2 different melodies, with different rythms an different lyrics.
>
> I found a simple solution for the musical part of this subject, by
> using the "formula" :
> <<
>   {
>     \voiceOne
>     notes-notes-notes ...
>   }
>   \new Voice
>   {
>     \voiceTwo
>     different-notes-different-notes ...
>   }
> >> \oneVoice

That basically is the most convenient way to do it under these
circumstances. It is important to know that this way everything before
and after this <<>> closure as well as the first music _expression_ within
the <<>> will end up in the same Voice context, which means that one
Lyrics context will easily follow them. However these lyrics are below
the staff, which is where the lyrics for the second soprano need to go.
Hence, it’s better to reverse them and make the new Voice the one for
the first soprano.

In order to add lyrics for the upper part, you need to label two
contexts in order to reference them: the Staff context for the soprani
needs something like

\new Staff = "sopranoStaff"

wherever you are creating it, and the Voice context for the first
soprani needs a label.

A complete minimal example:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.83"

<<
   \new Staff = "sopranoStaff"
   \new Voice = "soprano" {
     c'4
     <<
       {
         \voiceTwo
         c'
         \oneVoice
       }
       \new Voice = "soprano1" {
         \voiceOne
         c''
       }
       \new Lyrics \with {
         % this places the new Lyrics context above the labeled staff
         alignAboveContext = "sopranoStaff"
       } \lyricsto "soprano1" {
         testt
       }

     d'
   }
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "soprano" {
     tes test testtt
   }

Unfortunately, this minimal example exposes a bug
(https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/2010/) that was still
present in v2.18 but has since been fixed. There is no harm to be
expected from upgrading—and many benefits, so do consider using 2.19.83.

Best, Simon