Re: workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?

From: mason
Subject: Re: workflow advice: avoiding wrong octave errors?
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:18:47 -0700

On 08/23, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> You can always use \fixed.  =)

I didn't know about \fixed until just now. My first thought was to use
this to make the "default" pitches begin on the bottom space of the
staff, i.e., for treble clef

\fixed f' {f g a b c d e}

is equivalent to

{f' g' a' b' c'' d'' e''}

This way, notes inside the staff would need no "," or "'", and most
notes outside would need only a single "," or "'". I think I could keep
track of octaves pretty easily if the notation were connected visually
to the staff I'm reading from.

Unfortunately, only the octave, not the note name, of the reference
pitch appears to have an effect.

\fixed f' {f g a b c d e}

has the same output as

\fixed c' {f g a b c d e}

and

{f' g' a' b' c' d' e' f'}

> > Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I got used to it though.
>
> That was certainly my experience — after nearly a decade of using
> \relative (despite *many* frustrations around transposing instruments,
> introduction of octavation errors via copy-and-paste, etc.), I moved
> to absolute, and within about 6 months, I was shocked that I ever
> worked any other way.
>
> > What's your experience with MIDI entry?
>
> In Frescobaldi, it is quite smooth — essential to my workflow, really.

Thanks, When I have time to make larger changes to my workflow I'll give
this a shot.

Mason