Re: Braces, stanza numbers and common lyrics

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: Re: Braces, stanza numbers and common lyrics
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 22:16:39 +0200

 mdeneufch via lilypond-user wrote:
Not exactly: I would like to display the number of each stanza, for example
after the \leftBrace.
Using \set stanza = "n." after the \skipFour in your solution does not work
directly (the numbers are printed above the brace).

Using \set stanza = "n." after the \skipFour does actually work:
 - the "n." appears inline as it should
 - however it starts in the same X-position as the brace
 - this can be avoided by giving the brace some padding

But the above applies only to verses 2/3/4.

To do that for verse 1 (i.e. lyricsA, which has no \skipFour), we would say
 - \set stanza = \leftBrace
 - immediately followed by
 - \set stanza = "1."
But these \set commands share the same moment, so the first is ignored.
And \raiseStanzaN must apply to the "1." but not the \leftBrace!

This conundrum can be avoided by using a separate lyric line for the common words (and the braces). This structure is better anyway because it reveals the commonality of the verse lyrics.
I moved the common words to lyricsZ and placed it _below_ the verses.

Cheers,
Robin