collision between beam and lyrics when using \change Staff

From: mason
Subject: collision between beam and lyrics when using \change Staff
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 14:38:48 -0700

I am using `\change Staff` to manually switch between the staves of a
PianoStaff, as per.[1]

Above the piano staff is a voice part with lyrics. The beams of the
piano part collide with the lyrics of the voice part. If I do not use
`\change Staff` then the collision does not occur.

%%% begin MWE %%%
\version "2.21.0"

% collision between beam and lyrics
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \relative c' { c'4 c c }
    \addlyrics { foo bar foo }
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "up"
      \relative c' {
        s2. |
      }
      \new Staff = "down"
      \relative c' {
        \clef bass
        \time 3/4
        c,,8  c' \change Staff = "up" c' c' c' c,

% no collision
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \relative c' { c'4 c c }
    \addlyrics { foo bar foo }
    \new PianoStaff <<
      \new Staff = "up"
      \relative c' {
        \override Beam.direction = #UP
        s4 c'8 c' c' c,
      }
      \new Staff = "down"
      \relative c' {
        \clef bass
        \time 3/4
        c,,8  c' s2

%%% end MWE %%%

How can I avoid collisions between beams and lyrics while using `\change
Staff`?

Thanks,

Mason

[1]