Re: Barcheck with full measure rests

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Barcheck with full measure rests
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 15:42:37 +0200

On 21.05.19 15:37, Michael Gerdau wrote:
I'm probably having some subtlety wrong. The following code creates the
attached image.
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.21.0"

{ << R1 { s2. s4^"some markup" } >> }

{ << { \oneVoice R1 } \\ { s2. s4^"some markup" } >> }
%%%%%%%%%%%

The lower akkolade is what I want this to look like while the upper akkolade adds a staff
I don't wish to see. Adding "RemoveEmptyStaves" should not be required (and may
or may not create more unwanted side effects in that I may not wish for other staves to
be removed).

As I said I probably am overlooking something since Alexander Kobel made the
very same suggestion off list.

Ugh, sorry, I didn't intend to take this off-list. Feel free to repost here.

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/music-expressions-explained#simultaneous-music-expressions-single-staff

explains that the number of staves this stuff is packed into depends on whether the very first expression is a single note or a "simultaneous music" event.

{ c1 << R1 { s2. s4^"some markup" } >> }

does what you expect, on a single staff.

This really shouldn't be of any noticeable impact in any non-trivial score (read: if you have a \score { ... } block written out in your file).

Cheers,
Alex