Re: Barcheck with full measure rests

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Barcheck with full measure rests
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 15:37:40 +0200 (CEST)

> > The use case is this
> >
> > %%%%%%%%%%%
> > \version "2.21.0"
> > { R1*3/4 s4^\markup "some markup" |}
> > %%%%%%%%%%%
> >
> > Of course I could achieve that by
> > %%%%%%%%%%%
> > \version "2.21.0"
> > { << { \oneVoice R1 } \\ { s2. s4^\markup "some markup" |} >> }
> > %%%%%%%%%%%
> > but that seems ugly and at least to me unnecessarily complicated.
>
> It actually is too complicated since using the \\ shorthand creates two
> new voices. You might just as well write
>
> << R1 { s2. s4^\markup "some markup" } >>
>
> without needing to resort to \oneVoice etc. At most, I could imagine that
>
> << R1 \new Voice { s2. s4^\markup "some markup" } >>
>
> might be reasonable.

I'm probably having some subtlety wrong. The following code creates the
attached image.
%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.21.0"

{ << R1 { s2. s4^"some markup" } >> }

{ << { \oneVoice R1 } \\ { s2. s4^"some markup" } >> }
%%%%%%%%%%%

The lower akkolade is what I want this to look like while the upper akkolade
adds a staff I don't wish to see. Adding "RemoveEmptyStaves" should not be
required (and may or may not create more unwanted side effects in that I may
not wish for other staves to be removed).

As I said I probably am overlooking something since Alexander Kobel made the
very same suggestion off list.

Kind regards,
Michael
--