Re: Unconventional score and unwanted stray staff lines

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Unconventional score and unwanted stray staff lines
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 20:28:36 +0200

Am 19.05.19 um 17:56 schrieb David Bellows:
Hey Aaron,

Before I respond to the rest of your email, I think it's worth going
over something I didn't emphasize enough in my first email. I've
attached a new pdf with instrument labels this time to make it easier
to follow.

The staves that continue to be printed appear to only happen when the
last note in that staff is an actual printed note. If it's a rest or a
space then the extra staves are not printed. Further experimentation
and it looks like the extra staves are only printed if the final note
is less than a quarter note (!). You can see this in two spots with
Piano 4 and Piano 5 on page 3. I've attached the .ly file as well.
Maybe something to do with the time signature as well?

This looks like a bug maybe?

I could confirm that behaviour with the following MWE:

\version "2.21.0"

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { c'1 c'1 }
    \new Staff { c'1 c'4 c'16 }
    \new Staff { c'1 c'8 }
    \new Staff { c'1 c'4 }
    \new Staff { c'1 c'4. }

}

I too find this surprising. I suggest you ask on lilypond-user whether this is a bug or intended behaviour. If it is intended (due to some engraving convention for example) it might be made configurable.