Re: fingering

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: fingering
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 18:05:16 +0200

I found some solution that I post here to get some feedback and/or other suggestions.

Here they are 4 different ways to add fingering to a musical _expression_:

1 Standard:
\version "2.21.0"
\fixed c' {a-1 c' f'-\finger\markup\circle 3 a'-4}

2 Different context (thanks Pierre Perol-Schneider for your help!):
\version "2.21.0"
<<
  \new Dynamics \with { \consists Fingering_engraver } {s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
  \new Staff \fixed c' {a c' f' a'}

3 Multiple voices (please correct me if my terminology is not correct!):

\version "2.21.0"
\new Voice {
  <<
    { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
    \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }

}

4 addFingering
\version "2.21.0"
\include "addFingering.ly"
\addStringNumber \addFingering \fixed c'{a c' f' a'} "1xx4" "xx3x"

The engraved results are the same except for example 2 where the output is less pleasant because fingering doesn't follow the flow of the notes.
The solution 4 is a bit special because I used the addFingering external function (thanks Gilles Thibault!).

* * *

Let me discuss a bit about solution 3.

Here it is:

\version "2.21.0"
\new Voice {
  <<
    { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
    \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }

}

I rewrite it using variables:

\version "2.21.0"
myMusic = \fixed c'{ a c' f' a' }
myFing = { s-1 s s-\finger\markup\circle 3 s-4}
\new Voice << \myMusic \myFing  >>

Now lets me compare it with the standard solution:

\fixed c' {a-1 c' f'-\finger\markup\circle 3 a'-4}

If I'm not wrong to generate the two variables (myMusic and myFing) from the previous code should not be that difficult.

1 I duplicate the music _expression_
2 In the variable where I want to put the music I remove the fingering
3 In the variable where I want to put the fingering I remove all the articulations and I substitute each note occurrence with their octave with s.

In frescobaldi there is already a snippet to remove fingering and remove many type of articulations. And to substitute each note occurrence with 's' a regex _expression_ should do it pretty easily.

Any comments?
Thank you, g.