Re: Attaching images to posts

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Attaching images to posts
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:12:53 -0800

On 2018-11-18 2:07 am, Thomas Morley wrote:
In the past I have just made an attachment to the post,

Please continue to do so.
Speaking only for myself, frequently I don't see inline images here.
Sometimes there is some hint an image could be there, then I have to
look into the archives, which is tedious. Sometimes there is nothing
at all...

Though, I think I'm not the only one refusing to allow inline-images
generally.

You are not alone. I have my webmail client set to text-only email, so I can usually only see images that are attachments. Linked images work (like those from nabble), since the client shows the URL which I can then open in a new tab.

However, inline images are hit-and-miss. When the email size is obviously large enough that there is something more than just text but no attachments are shown, it is likely the image was embedded in HTML. My webmail client does offer an option to selectively switch a single email to HTML. But this does not always work, forcing me to seek out the email on the gnu.lists.org archive or nabble.

Given all that, it is my preference to only send emails as pure text and, if needed, include small* attachments, since it has the highest chance of being read by all clients out there. (* PNGs work very well for music notation even at high DPI.)

The only gotcha I have found is that you need to be careful when including LilyPond markup in the email. Quoting content from other folks is done by using one or more greater-than signs at the beginning of a line. However, LilyPond includes "<< >>" as part of its syntax. I try to format the code to avoid the ">>" ever being at the beginning of a line, otherwise mail clients (like mine) will misinterpret it as a quote.

-- Aaron Hill