automatic \once-ing [was "Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: automatic \once-ing [was "Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible bug?]"]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:34:05 -0500

Hi David,

> I am irritated that \shape applies \once automatically.

I seem to recall there are a couple of other functions which do so as well
(though I don’t currently recall what they are).

Would it be a good idea to standardize the codebase such that functions never
apply \once automatically, or are there good reasons not to have such a coding
convention?

> If you use it in a context modification \with { ... }, however,
> \once will get ignored and the shape will apply to the whole context.

Ah! That’s useful.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer