Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible bug?]

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: controlling the tie "gap" [and a possible bug?]
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 18:13:21 -0500

Hi David,

> I can't see that it this can really be regarded as a bug. Ending one slur and
> beginning another on the same note is not normal usage - in fact, I don't
> really know what it is supposed to mean. How does this meaning differ from
> having a single slur over all 5 notes? Will the meaning be clear to whoever
> has to play the music?

Well, in this case, I’m engraving a Schenker graph… so I doubt anyone will be
playing it.  ;)
But regardless of the meaning of it… it’s a collision, and Lilypond should
handle the case accordingly, no?

> In the normal case one wants slur to go at least to the vertical centre of
> the notehead, probably a little further, and this is what Lilypond does.

Yes. But Lilypond corrects for the presence of (and potential collision with)
articulations, etc. — why not for the presence of (and potential collision
with) another slur?

> For a specialized case such as the example shown, the slurs can of course be
> tweaked.

I’m hoping there’s a global setting, rather than a [time-consuming]
slur-by-slur manual approach: in Schenker graphs, this construct is very
common, and it would be a shame if one couldn’t set a "horizontal padding"
between adjacent slurs.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer