Re: turning a blind eye to dotted note

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: turning a blind eye to dotted note
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 14:44:02 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "bb" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 2:16 PM

The point in the example is, that there is one 16th to much in the bar, not one missing. If I count, I get 17/16 in the bar! And I wonder that lilypond is seting automatically a barline after that 17/16 without complaining? In my understanding that is wrong!

As was explained, it's actually putting a part of the note after the barline and leaving space for it. See attached image if the dotted note is "corrected".

What I would do or awaiting lilypond to do is splitting up that last 8th note into 2 16th note and connect it with a tie! Than this is a correct notation. The "math", 16/16 in one bar with 4/4 is right.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/ties-and-slurs.en.html

As was explained, this is what the completion_notes_engraver does do.

--
Phil Holmes