Re: parts sharing a staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: parts sharing a staff
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 21:10:47 -0400

Hi Shevek,

> I often run into situations where two parts share a staff some
> of the time and have individual staffs the rest of the time.

This is quite common. (I have scores where up to 8 different parts will share
between 1 and 8 staves, depending on the situation.)

> The way I handle it is like this [...]
> I thought this might just be of interest to others who deal with a similar
> scenario.

That's very interesting! Right now I'm putting together a comparative analysis
of the different methods of coding shared/split staves; this is not one I had
previously seen or considered. As it relies on the partcombiner — which is both
feature-poor and limited to two voices — it has some drawbacks; but there are
also some benefits to the approach. Thanks for sharing it!

> Are you using a similar technique, or do you have a better approach?

"Better" is a matter of opinion… I know of three other primary ways of
approaching it — each has its pros and cons.

> Second, this strategy leads to the necessity of manually writing \set
> Staff.shortInstrumentName = "1" whenever the second staff is visible, and
> back again to \column { "1" "2" } whenever the second staff is hidden. Since
> that depends on system breaking, which changes as I compose, getting the
> correct labels in the left margin is a continual source of tedious manual
> bugfixing.

1. Other mechanisms would allow you to set the instrument name once and never
adjust it. (But the tradeoffs might not be worth that modest gain.)

2. Speaking from a depth of experience, I might recommend not worrying about
margin labels while composing… I find the mode-switching keeps me from
harnessing really good composition focus/flow.

> What I'd really like is to be able to write some function or engraver that […]

Well, that is a separate — and very compelling — kettle of fish. For quite some
time, I've been thinking about (and asking/posting about, and offering to
sponsor, etc.) a staff-labelling engraver which would determine the name of the
performer(s) who were represented by that staff, using the partcombiner or not.

> How feasible would such a project be?

I don't see why it couldn't be done fairly easily using a Scheme engraver.

> If it is feasible, how could I begin to approach it?

That's a different story… My Scheme-fu is weak (though I'm working my way
through some of the learning curve right now). Hopefully someone else can help.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info