Re: Tips on quick entry

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tips on quick entry
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 17:47:13 +0100

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 16:27 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>> [...] doesn't cover chord entry - I used to use the
>> > sustain pedal to indicate that the notes played should all be in one
>> > chord, but now I hold down the Alt key - you can do either in Denemo.
>> > The problem with depending on the timing of the ons and offs is that
>> > played musically notes which are intended to be sequential can often not
>> > be so, quite - not a problem I guess if you are playing in slowly,
>> > changing the duration each time it alters.
>>
>> You know, if Frescobaldi development weren't apparently dead
>
> Oh, dear. I was going to add that the nice soundsfromsounds video guide
> also failed to draw attention the the "All sharps" or "All flats"
> limitation. It presumably means that a piece with F-sharp and B-flat in
> it would require you to stop off and click on a button when they
> alternated.

A basic scale that is only modified upwards works well.  It turns out
that for the key of C major/A minor, the Bb major scale works well as a
"floor", transliterating keys adjacent to C major and A minor and doing
a reasonable job with harmonic minor as well.

Of course, one should be able to pin the entry key, and it might be
desirable to make ascending/descending patterns behave differently.  But
for pitches "as such" and chord progressions focused around the central
key, this scheme works reasonably well.

>> (no more commits in the repository since October 1 and submitted
>> trivial patches get dropped on the floor), it would be worthwhile to
>> make Frescobaldi decide "chord-or-not" based on the overlap in
>> duration.
>
> I think you could be right - I have so little need for chord entry that
> it has been rather neglected.

"No more commits" in all of Frescobaldi.  And my never applied patch
fixes Frescobaldi being confused about Midi channel numbers (0-15 in the
messages correspond to human-readable channels 1-16 and the current code
makes it impossible to select only channel 1) and is not concerned with
chord mode.

I just stated that working on chord mode is a waste of time when no
patches get applied anymore to Frescobaldi anyway.

--
David Kastrup