Re: Getting a new computer

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 11:57:14 +0100

Am 17.11.2016 um 16:19 schrieb Knut Petersen:
Hi Vaughan!

I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would like to
test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It takes my computer
between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.

I tried my old computer ... Pentium-M Dothan 1.86 GHz on an AOpen i915GMm-hfs
mobo with 2 GB RAM.
One hardware update: OpenSuSE linux system installed on SSD, all the other
parts are older than 11 years.
That old machine only needs  between 138 and 140 seconds!

The old machine takes about 5 times longer to compile your score than my fast
PC, and more than 50% of that
is related to the increased system clock.

But: If I do a full build of lilypond, the old machine takes about 23 times as
long as the modern computer ;-)

Some further comments: With some slight modifications you could compile Agnus,
Credo, etc as individual scores
and combine the pdf using a program like pdftk. That reduced the time to build
the pdf to a bit less than 8 seconds
on the modern hardware.

cu,
 Knut

My system:
=========
   mainboard:  asus h97 pro gamer
   cpu: i7-4790K, 4.00 Ghz (turbo speed: up to 4.4 GHZ,)
   SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB
   os: Linux, based on openSuSE Tumbleweed
   For the test I used lilypond 2.18.2.

Compile times: