Re: Getting a new computer

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Getting a new computer
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 00:27:15 +0000

On 11/16/2016 8:24 PM, Vaughan McAlley wrote:
> I’ve included a large project if anyone with a newish computer would
> like to test their compilation time. The main file is MDSM.ly. It
> takes my computer between 4 and 5 minutes to compile.

Thanks for sending that project! I find it very instructive to review
completed work by experienced users. My computer here is one I built in
July 2012 or so. I guess it's not exactly newish anymore, was nothing
extra high-end to begin with, and currently it should have a reformat
and re-install.

Intel DZ77SL-50K mainboard
Intel Core i5-3450 "Ivy Bridge" 3.10 GHz CPU
24 GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit
LilyPond 2.19.46, Frescobaldi 2.17.2.

MSDM.ly and its entourage compiled in 1 min 4 secs.

As others noted, a program like LilyPond only uses 1 CPU core. So fewer,
faster cores could quite possibly outperform a higher-end processor with
more, slower cores. In my case, with this project LilyPond promptly
sends CPU usage to 25% and stays there until finished - it's maxing out
1 of the i5's 4 cores. So have 6 or 8 or however-many more cores would
probably not help here.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA