Re: Long Compile time with version 2.19.44

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Long Compile time with version 2.19.44
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 00:35:22 -0500

On Thu 07 Jul 2016 at 19:37:54 (-0700), BGM wrote:
> Thanks for you interest, fellas.
>
> I downgraded lilypond to version 2.19.36-1 and everything works as expected
> - that is, it compiles any of my scores normally in just a second or two.
>
> My problems were all with the latest lilypond 2.19.44-1 version.

Well, I downloaded 2.19.44-1 (I'm linux x86) and the first run
of the same carol was very slow; the disk was churning throughout.
However, this laptop does have a *very* slow disk, usually being
gently fried at about 65-70°C.

These runs are all the same version, 2.19.44-1. I dropped the
caches halfway through.

real    1m17.986s
user    0m31.128s
sys     0m1.176s

real    0m17.420s
user    0m16.948s
sys     0m0.380s

real    0m17.368s
user    0m16.884s
sys     0m0.400s

# echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

real    0m30.748s
user    0m16.960s
sys     0m0.596s

real    0m17.565s
user    0m16.832s
sys     0m0.500s

So I've gained another second! However, it's always possible the
system load is lower (ie, fewer tabs open in the browser).
But I don't see a problem in this version unless some particular
construction of yours provokes it.

Cheers,
David.