Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 18:23:55 -0500

On Sat 11 Jun 2016 at 21:32:09 (+0000), Mike wrote:
> Update: I have tried to build the latest tar on my system, but I got the
> following errors - interestingly all to do with symlinks:
>
>   70: extrac07.at:27     extracting symlinks to a read-only dir
>       extract extract07 read-only symlink
>   76: extrac13.at:26     extract over symlinks
>       extract extrac13
>   90: incr01.at:27       restore broken symlinks from incremental
>       incremental incr01
>
> I'll send the report to the tar people, but I suspect my system is somehow
> broken at a fundamental level.

Particularly in view of Andrew Bernard's comment, I wouldn't bother as
it won't be reproducible.

> I am considering trying to install earlier versions of lilypond. Would that
> help?

I wouldn't do that if you're happy with the output of LP that you have
achieved so far. It's easy enough to script the conversion of ps to pdf
especially as 2.18.2 writes the ps file for foo.ly with the name foo.ps
which means its name is predictable. Later versions use a nonce
filename like /tmp/lilypond-UhwYSY which must be extracted from the
error message.

Cheers,
David.