Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Cannot install lilypond on a shared Hostmonster server
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 00:20:11 -0700

Hi Mike,

I am following this thread with ever increasing dismay. In order to help, I made a virtul machine here running Centos 6.7 and installed lilypond 2.18.2. Everything works fine. No issues at all.

Having worked as a professional IT software developer, sysadmin, and enterprise architect for decades, may I suggest that there is something Seriously Messed Up (TM) with the server your hosting provider has given you. A clue to this is the discussion previously about the prompt convention being wrong, which, seemingly trivial, nevertheless points to the fact that the staff this vendor employs do not know what they are doing, I’d say.

In all seriousness, if I were you, rather than wasting any more time on this, I would be looking at another hosting provider.

This is supposed to be helpful, not merely critical - from reading this thread, you are never going to solve this, and if you do, I would still be of the opinion that you are working in a very broken environment, with endless trouble to come.

[FWIW, the tar on the Centos 6.7 I downloaded is 1.23 and works fine.]

Andrew