Re: size of pdf files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: size of pdf files
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 00:25:41 +0100 (CET)

> How can I force lilypond to include the full emmentaler-design-size
> font instead of only a subset?

LilyPond itself only produces PS files, *always* embedding complete
fonts, AFAIK.  Thus ghostscript's `-dSubsetFonts=false' option should
work for Emmentaler also.  Have you actually checked that by looking
into the various snippet PDF files produced by lilypond?

> The file notation.pdf of 2.18.2 contains more than 3400 font
> subsets, more than 2000 are subsets of emmentaler-*.otf.  Most of
> those could be eliminated, saving serval MB of filesize.

The question is whether pdftex is capable to do that – this program
processes the texinfo documentation, loads all the snippet PDF files,
ten doing the subsetting, and I guess it is not able to optimize this
on a global, document-wide level.

May it works to disable subsetting in pdftex, cf.

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/24002/turning-off-font-subsetting-in-pdftex

Then a call to gs for PDF->PDF processing might produce smaller output
files (or maybe there exist special tools to do that).

    Werner