Re: size of pdf files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: size of pdf files
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:51:39 +0100 (CET)

> Now I thought a bit and added "-dSubsetFonts=false" to the gs
> parameter list in backend-library.scm.  I also changed
> lilyponddefs.ps to include white-on-white print commands for all the
> emmentaler glyphs used in the four examples (hint: grep, sed, sort &
> uniq make it easy to get a list of glyphs from ps files): [...]

This is a nice idea!  However, I consider it a bug in ghostscript that
you can't suppress subsetting for the Emmentaler fonts.  Can you send
a bug report to the gs people?

> A file size reduction to about 36% of the original is a promising
> result.

Indeed.

> I think it would be a good idea to have some kind of interface to
> define a set of emmentaler glyphs to be included in the pdfs and to
> allow to activate the -dSubsetFonts=false setting in ghostscript.

Mhmm.  Having a `-dSubsetFonts=false' option is certainly a good idea
(and please provide a patch for that :-).  However, I would rather
favor that the bug gets fixed in gs – or finding out what we are
missing.

> Why does lilypond think it is a good idea to print a space at origin
> using an otherwise unused font?

This is a very good question.  IIRC, it comes from headers or footers
added by lilypond.  It is obviously not possible to *completely*
disable that, hence the silly whitespace.  This is a bug in lilypond,
I think...

    Werner